Applications deadline: 4th November 2021
Approaches: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Music Therapy is currently seeking a Communications Editor. This new role within the editorial team has emerged in response to the increasing communications opportunities and demands of Approaches as a leading open access journal.
The Communications Editor will join a dynamic, international and interdisciplinary editorial team and work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and the Associate Editors of Approaches to direct the journal’s communications strategy and undertake the following key responsibilities:
- leading publicity processes and communicate journal content through various media outlets
(e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube)
- managing the journal’s mailing list
- liaising with the journal’s sponsors and key stakeholders for developing and implementing new communication initiatives
- curating supplementary article materials for distribution via the journal’s YouTube channel and other online platforms
- updating the Upcoming Events section on Approaches’ website
This role offers scope for career development and is a unique opportunity for someone who wishes to contribute to the development of Approaches.
As a bilingual (English-Greek) publication, the journal’s communication needs to reach both English and Greek-speaking audiences. Joint appointment of an English-speaking and of a Greek-speaking Communications Editor may be considered if knowledge of both languages cannot be covered by the same person.
Approaches fosters interdisciplinary dialogue bridging local and global aspects of music, health and wellbeing. The Communications Editor will be expected to work in line with the journal’s ethos and its vision, and to retain high professional standards in all aspects of their work.
- Excellent writing skills in English or in Greek (knowledge of both languages is not required, and joint appointment options may be considered as explained above)
- Excellent knowledge and use of social media platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube)
- Excellent organisational skills, including prompt email correspondence and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Image, sound and video editing skills
- Professional and responsible attitude
- Ability to work both as a team member and autonomously
- Interest in academic publishing
- Music therapy qualification
- An academic publication record
- Previous experience of editorial work (e.g., journal editor, book editor, thesis/doctoral supervision)
- Previous experience in journal review processes as author and / or reviewer
This is a 5-year term, voluntary position which can be renewed. Time commitment is flexible as long as the work is produced in a timely manner and is of high quality.
How to apply:
If you are interested in becoming Communications Editor for Approaches, please email:
- your CV
- a brief statement of interest (maximum 600 words) detailing your interest in the role alongside your skills and qualifications
Please email these materials to the Editor-in-Chief, Dr Giorgos Tsiris (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 4th November 2021. Potential candidates are welcome to get in touch if they wish to discuss any questions prior to submitting their application.
Applications will be evaluated by the Editor-in-Chief and the Associate Editors of Approaches.