Deadline: 5th September 2022
Applications are currently being accepted for the role of Language Consultant of Approaches: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Music Therapy.
Approaches is an open access, peer-reviewed journal inviting diverse perspectives on music therapy practice, profession and discipline. Although music therapy is the main pillar of Approaches’ work, submissions of manuscripts originating from related fields within the wider music, health and wellbeing arena (such as community music, psychology of music, special music education, and medical ethnomusicology) are welcome. The journal encourages interdisciplinary dialogue around music, health and wellbeing, and it welcomes submissions from practitioners, researchers, and scholars in the field. Approaches also welcomes a range of submission genres such as theoretical articles, position papers, research articles, reports, interviews, book reviews, conference reports, and tributes. Remaining alert and responding to emerging trends in the field, Approaches also publishes special issues and special features on a regular basis.
Language consultants play a vital role in academic publishing as they perform a ‘quality check’ on papers just before they are due to be published. Key responsibilities, qualifications and skills are as follows:
- To work closely with the editor-in-chief and with the rest of the editorial team of Approaches as needed.
- To read each paper carefully and check for correctness and consistency of content in terms of language and formatting.
- To implement corrections (using track changes) in terms of spelling; style/format consistency according to the journal’s format; page numbers, headings and captions; in-text citations and references list according to Approaches referencing style.
- To translate English abstracts into Greek (this responsibility applies only to Greek-speaking language consultants)
Required qualifications and skills:
- Meticulous attention to detail to ensure that the text is error-free
- Strong organisational skills, including prompt email correspondence
- Professional and responsible attitude
- Ability to work independently and self-motivated
- Excellent use of Microsoft Word and track changes
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Interest in academic publishing
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent academic reading, writing and reviewing skills in English or in Greek. Approaches is a bilingual journal (English-Greek) journal, but knowledge of Greek is not required for this role.
- Excellent organisational and teamwork skills.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Experience of serving as a reviewer or editorial board member
- Qualification in music therapy or in another music and health related discipline.
- Experience as a scholarly author
The successful applicant will join a dynamic, international and interdisciplinary editorial team. This role offers scope for career development and is a unique opportunity for someone who wishes to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field.
This is a two-year term, voluntary position which can be renewed once. Time commitment is flexible as long as the work is produced in a timely manner and is of high quality.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for the Associate Editor position, please email:
- your CV
- a statement of interest (maximum 500 words) detailing why you are interested in this role
Please email these materials to the Editor-in-Chief, Dr Giorgos Tsiris (email@example.com) by
5th September 2022. Potential candidates are welcome to get in touch if they wish to discuss any questions prior to submitting their application.
Applications will be evaluated by the Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editors of Approaches.